Frayed cords are dangerous
Cord insulation keeps electricity in the wires and where it belongs. Regularly check appliance power cords and connections for wear, and don’t use damaged cords.
Practice extension cord safety
Extension cords are only for temporary use. Never put them under rugs or furniture, as they can overheat or become damaged.
In the case of burnt toast…
Never insert metal into a toaster under any circumstances. Metal conducts electricity. If you must remove burnt toast, unplug the toaster first.
Don’t mix water and electricity
Electricity flows easily through water. Keep hairdryers, curling irons, electric razors, electric toothbrushes, and other appliances away from water.
Water and electricity can be shocking
Always unplug an appliance before cleaning it. Even if turned off, it can shock you. Use outlets with GFCIs for appliances near sinks.
Keep little hands out of trouble
If small children are in your home, put safety covers on all electrical outlets that are within their reach. Keep appliances and cords away from children.
Keep these items handy
Flashlights, battery-powered radio, fresh batteries, bottled water, canned and dried foods, blankets, manual can opener, first aid supplies.
Make sure it’s safe
Never operate a home backup generator without a properly installed transfer switch to isolate your home wiring from main power lines.
Keep your family safe
Keep flammable items far from light bulbs, heaters, or toasters. Install smoke detectors, keep extinguishers on hand, and have a fire escape plan.
GFCIs can save your life
Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCIs) cut power in time to prevent serious shock. Use in bathrooms, garages, near kitchen sinks, and outdoors.
Keep the holidays happy
Always turn off all holiday lights before you leave home. Keep trees, boxes, and wrapping paper away from heat sources.
Don’t overload outlets
An overloaded outlet is a fire hazard. If yours are overloaded with many plugs, consider having a qualified electrician install additional outlets.