Using electrical appliances near water can be a matter of life and death. It’s never too early to teach children the hazards of this potentially deadly combination.
Power is present even when an appliance is turned off, so … If an appliance falls into water, unplug it — don’t touch it! Never immerse appliances in water for cleaning. Never let their cords trail in water. And never use them near sinks or tubs where they might fall into water.
One way to ensure better safety with tools and appliances is by using a ground fault circuit interrupter. This device prevents electric shock by stopping the flow of electricity during even the smallest current leak. If you must use electric appliances in your bathroom, garage, outdoors, or anywhere near water or moisture, you should be using a ground fault circuit interrupter.