Here are a few tips from the Energy Experts you can use this summer to stay cool and comfortable at the lowest possible cost.
- Check for proper insulation in the attic and floors and good seals around doors, windows and ductwork.
- Check and clean or replace climate control system filters.
- Keep blinds or curtains drawn where the sun is hitting your house the hardest. This reflects heat away from the interior.
- As much as possible, use heat producing appliances early or late in the day. Such appliances include clothes dryers, dishwashers and ovens.
- Use fans to circulate air. Make sure the blades are set to rotate in the proper direction for the season.
- Choose the highest comfortable winter thermostat setting. For each degree you lower the thermostat, you can reduce the cost of cooling your home by as much as three percent.
Energy Use FAQ (5)
The ideal setting is 78 degrees for cooling and 65 degrees for heating.
Conserving energy is always a good idea. York Electric has a free 101 low-cost/no-cost home energy savings measures brochure. Visit one of our offices to pick up a copy or view and/or download here. Also, visit TogetherWeSave.com and take the home tour to learn what actions you can take to save on your energy bill.
Yes, it can. You can save by using your current spotlights less, converting your current spotlights to 23 watt compact fluorescent spots, and by installing motion sensors so the lights only work when motion is detected.
The value of electricity remains very high. The national cost of electricity today, when adjusted for inflation, is less than what it was in 1980. Very few commodities have remained such a good value. Compared to other consumer products and services, electricity is a bargain.
Do you have a service that would allow someone to come to a member’s home and give a review of the home and offer advice on how to make the home more efficient and show them how to reduce their bill?
Yes. York Electric offers a free in-home energy audit. All you have to do is call our member services department at 803-684-4248 and tell them you are interesting in scheduling one.