Welcome to York Electric Cooperative!
How to Apply
Please review and gather the basics listed below and call Member Services at 803-684-4248, M-F, 8 AM-5 PM.
Please review and gather the basics listed below and visit us at our Main Office at 1385 East Alexander Love Highway, York, SC, M-F, 8 AM-5 PM, excluding holidays, or our Fort Mill Office at 2089 Highway 21 By-pass, in Fort Mill, M-F, 8 AM-12:30 PM and 1:30 PM-5 PM.
Here are the basics for establishing service:
- Apply at least one (1) business day prior to the day you are requesting the power to be turned on. For same-day connections (if available), an additional fee may apply.
- A non-refundable $25 service activation fee and a $5 membership fee are required.
- Have your driver’s license and Social Security number handy.
- To determine if a security deposit is required, we will run a credit check using your Social Security number. Based on your credit or YEC payment history, we may require a deposit (paid by cash, check, or money order).
- If you do not wish to have your credit checked, a maximum deposit will be required before your application is processed and service is established. Concerned about paying a service deposit? Learn about Advance Pay
- Complete the New Service Information Form and the Membership Application combined in this PDF download:
Different types of service may require additional information:
Existing residential: You may be asked to provide a copy of your lease or home purchase agreement.
New residential construction: You will need to provide a copy of your building permit and a completed Underground Application to Member Services in person or via fax to 803-628-1955.
The completion of service forms does not establish service. You will be contacted by a Member Services representative to finish the process, request additional forms, and/or verify the information.
We will always do our best to promptly and efficiently respond to your request during normal business hours; however, we cannot guarantee same day service, so please plan accordingly. Service connections are not performed on weekends or holidays.
Need help with your service request? You can reach us at 803-684-4248. We’re available M-F, 8 AM-5 PM, excluding holidays.
New Service FAQ
New permanent residential services, including mobile homes, are not charged for secondary underground service. Underground service can be installed upon request for barns, wells, shops, storage buildings, and other non-permanent residences, but a charge will be incurred by the member. This charge is determined by YEC’s engineering department. Changing existing overhead service to underground will incur a higher charge. Underground service lines are more expensive to install than overhead services, but do not require as much maintenance.
It depends on the circumstance; therefore, YEC does not promise construction completion dates. If line construction is necessary, YEC requires a minimum notice of 10 working days. In order to begin service the following is required: county permit, service order request, meter base installed, signed underground form, and member application. Failure to provide these documents may delay the process. Connection for services, other than temporaries and agricultural uses, must have power authorization before YEC can set the meter. Other factors to consider when requesting service:
- Weather can cause delays in the construction process.
- Services in subdivisions do not take as long to connect because the primary service is already installed.
- A new home, that hasn’t had power before, may need to have right of way obtained or cleared. Also, poles may need to be set in order to get service to the home.
Residential Accounts – Residential deposits are refunded, if an excellent payment history (as defined by YEC) is maintained, for 12 consecutive months. The deposit is automatically credited to the bill when the member meets the above-mentioned qualifications, or it is applied towards the final bill. If there is any remaining deposit owed to the member, a check will be mailed; therefore, it is important for YEC to have your forwarding address.
Commercial Accounts – The deposit is applied to the final bill.
Residential Accounts – If no credit history with YEC exists, the cooperative will charge the $295 deposit. However, there is a way to waive the deposit for residential service. YEC verifies the identity of new members through Online Utility Exchange; this process also generates a credit check. If the identity check meets YEC standards, then the deposit may be waived.
Commercial Accounts – Deposits must be paid on commercial accounts. Credit checks are not accepted for commercial accounts. Contractors building several homes are allowed to have one deposit for several accounts, provided these accounts are kept current.
Members of YEC are required to pay a one-time, non-refundable membership fee of $5 and a service fee of $25. A security deposit of $295 may be required, depending on the applicant’s credit history, for residential service.