On site at our main headquarters, 1385 East Alexander Love Highway, York, SC
Electric Vehicles FAQ
A lot can change in a year, but based on current fuel prices, probably 4 years. There are more models becoming available and as battery prices improve, the timeframe could shorten.
- It saves customers money. Filling up an electric vehicle is cheaper than fueling a traditional car.
- The environment will benefit. Widespread adoption of electric vehicles will cut emissions.
- Energy independence. Electric vehicles reduce our dependence on foreign oil and will lead to more local jobs.
- Back in 2007, YEC began collecting data.
- YEC also collaborated with Duke on their plans and data collection; Duke energy currently has one of the nation’s largest fleets of plug-in electric vehicles and plug-in hybrid electric cars for research and development purposes. This includes vehicles from Toyota, Tesla, Ford, General Motors, Chrysler, Nissan, and the Southeast’s first plug-in hybrid electric utility “bucket” truck.
- In 2013, YEC developed an overall electric vehicle plan to include beta sites for in-home chargers and special electric rates to incentivize vehicle charging on non-peak times.
- In 2014, YEC implemented an electric-vehicle rate.