- It saves customers money. Filling up an electric vehicle is cheaper than fueling a traditional car.
- The environment will benefit. Widespread adoption of electric vehicles will cut emissions.
- Energy independence. Electric vehicles reduce our dependence on foreign oil and will lead to more local jobs.
Electric Vehicles FAQ
On site at our main headquarters, 1385 East Alexander Love Highway, York, SC
A lot can change in a year, but based on current fuel prices, probably 4 years. There are more models becoming available and as battery prices improve, the timeframe could shorten.
- Back in 2007, YEC began collecting data.
- YEC also collaborated with Duke on their plans and data collection; Duke energy currently has one of the nation’s largest fleets of plug-in electric vehicles and plug-in hybrid electric cars for research and development purposes. This includes vehicles from Toyota, Tesla, Ford, General Motors, Chrysler, Nissan, and the Southeast’s first plug-in hybrid electric utility “bucket” truck.
- In 2013, YEC developed an overall electric vehicle plan to include beta sites for in-home chargers and special electric rates to incentivize vehicle charging on non-peak times.
- In 2014, YEC implemented an electric-vehicle rate.