After a tornado or any severe storm, serious injury can still occur to people caught in the aftermath who aren’t conscious of the safety risks. It is not unusual in a disaster such as this for more people to be killed by carelessness after the fact than were killed in the event, itself. Keep these safety tips in mind:
- Beware of outdoor hazards.
- Watch out for loose or dangling power lines, and report them immediately to the proper authorities.
- Be sure all electric and gas services are turned off before entering buildings for the first time.
- Disconnect the main switch and all circuits.
- Watch for electrical shorts or live wires.
- Don’t turn on any lights or appliances until an electrician has checked the system for short circuits.
- Electric motors in appliances that have been flooded should be thoroughly cleaned and reconditioned before they are put back into service.
For more flood tips, visit Ready.gov/tornadoes