York Electric began installing AMI meters in test areas in January 2011.
Automated Meter Reading FAQ
YEC has been using AMR, automated meter reading, for many years. AMR allows electric systems to read meters from a remote location. AMI goes a step beyond remote meter reading because it allows two-way communication between the meter and the electric system.
The installation of the new meters will be at no cost to the member. Should we determine the meter base or service equipment is dangerous or faulty during change-out, the member will be notified and asked to call an electrician to make repairs before the new meter will be installed.
The AMI system has numerous member benefits in a variety of areas and will help prepare us for the electric power industry’s fast-paced technological advancement.
- Improves outage notification and management process.
- Provides additional metering data to better assist members with billing and service questions.
- Gives York Electric the capability to provide members with valuable usage information such as consumption patterns, outage and blink count history, and voltage information.
- Improves meter reading accuracy and provides consistent billing periods. With an AMI system, meters can be automatically set to read on the same day of each month.
- Reduces losses by identifying power theft and other problems.
YEC personnel will change out the meters. They will knock on the door of each residence to introduce themselves and inform the residents of the meter change and short service interruption. If the member isn’t home, a door hanger will be left informing the member of the meter change-out.