Celebrating 75 years of quality service and commitment.
This year’s annual meeting was very special as we celebrated the 75th Anniversary of York Electric Cooperative on Saturday, May 14. We had a record number of members register, 3,308 to be exact, and if you were among the estimated 10,000 folks in attendance, thank you for making it the great occasion that it was.
Members are always our guests of honor, but we were also pleased to welcome local dignitaries, including Congressman Mick Mulvaney, who led us in the Pledge of Allegiance, state Senator Wes Hayes (District 15), who read a resolution approved by the General Assembly which commended your cooperative on reaching its milestone. State Representatives Raye Felder (District 26) who introduced the resolution to the General Assembly and Tommy Pope (District 47), who was featured in our 75th Anniversary video, also took part in the festivities. You can already see why I came away from the meeting with the best feeling![metaslider id=9152]
There were so many wonderful moments. Here are just a few:
- A video recounting your cooperative’s history premiered and received a warm reception. If you weren’t able to attend, the video can be viewed here.
- I thanked those who helped us have a successful High Voltage Heroes initiative, which celebrated 75 years of giving back to the community we serve. Seventy-five individuals who embody the spirit of the cooperative were selected. I was proud to recognize them during the meeting. Visit this page for more about them.
- This year has been a great year for capital credits. In May, YEC returned $1.2 million, the largest amount in our history, to members.
- I congratulated our employees for winning a statewide safety contest again. They have won it seven out of the last 14 years. I appreciate their dedication and hard work.
- I was delighted to share the news that YEC is shining the light for solar energy use by offering our members the opportunity to subscribe to a community solar farm. We are also studying the feasibility of offering high-speed internet to rural parts of our service area. And, our electric rates have slightly decreased this year.
There have been many changes since the creation of YEC in 1941, but one thing that has not changed is our commitment to serve in the best interests of our membership and our community. Once again, thank you for your continued trust and confidence in us. By maintaining our commitment to integrity, accountability, innovation and community commitment, YEC is positioned well to serve you in the years to come.
We are always looking out for you!
President and Chief Executive Officer